Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Offbeat movies - 1

As has been asked often of me by a lot of people, am starting this section of writing a list of offbeat movies that I catch up on DVD or TV....and a short review with it. These movies are not going to have any of the mainstream releases that happened recently. So, it will be something that you can pick from a DVD shop...:)

The Ruins (2008) (Horror)
I am one who avoids horror at any costs but this seemed offbeat and hence I got hooked on. I wish I dint!I was completely freaked out on seeing this. On the lines of tourists-get-to-unknown-place premise, this one is too real and you will feel as if you can encounter something like this in a day-to-day life. And believe me..there are no ghosts! Its something more...:)

New Jersey Drive (1995) (Drama/Action)
Now, am a big fan of black movies. I like their style; the way they talk. Bro, am hooked! This movie is about a group of young black car thieves set in Jersey City in 1995. Its kinda slow movie with no big stars but its an interesting watch. And you can catch a lot of slang that might help you to throw around some air!...:)

The Hammer (2007) (Comedy)
This is a very simple and funny movie about an aged boxer who tries to get back to the ring. A guy named Adam Carolla plays the boxer and his straight face humor is a treat to watch. He has a Nicaragua friend who is like that uncle from Borat guy in terms of his comic sense. The scene where Adam wears the ipod and tries to show off before a girl is hilarious! And the girl in this is a next-door-girl and you will like her definitely!...:)

Event Horizon (1997) (Sci Fi/Horror/Thriller)
Lawrence Fishburne stars in this and I don't know how I missed this one earlier. This is an edge-of-the-seat thriller. A space ship gets lost for 7 years and when it suddenly appears, all is not what it seems. The idea in this movie will scare the s**t out of you!...:)

1 comment:

Elangovan said...

except..New Jersey Drive ...all the movies are new 2 me ...'ll watch tht ..Sure NO to horror though ...thz crazy ..