Thursday, July 16, 2009

Of Valiant Men and Valentine


I wrote the below post on Valentine day, 2007 when I was in Buffalo, NY:

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.

- V

As every Valentine runs by, in the last twelve years, the net sum feelings in the heart is given by the above rather crisp message from the movie 'V for Vendetta'. The protaganist in the movie utters the above in a way different context but heyyy....that fits me. And the phonetics of 'V' gives a comfort feeling.

It started on a bright summer day in Chennai. Year 1995. The phone rang and I picked it up. The other end said 'Happy Valentine..'. The ball started rolling. It took me four full days to confirm and reconfirm with my friends (those ^&&^**&&*) that only people in love utter those magic words. Oh my God....and I did not even respond on that day. From that moment onwards, the phone bills went up; guys became enemies (oh...the ones who say that this is not love); vijay became my favourite hero (those one sided love story movies!); computer classes became hot (my father lost Rs. 35000 there...hey....not me!); white shirts became staple (she liked white). Once after seeing one Prabhu Deva - Kajol movie with her and mutual friends, I waited an hour outside the movie theatre to wave to her as her car goes out. Later, found out that she had taken the other exit and long gone. Hmm...one of the first waits. It took me ...hold your breath...five years to find the courage to utter the response to her. And the reply was..."ok....hmm....heyy....i never thought you in that manner....heyy...heeyy....where r u running?"

I never looked back. Strangely, did not cry also. Now, one thing here which I have never given out till date: I did eat Biriyani that day (this is for you....MITians!). Few days back, one of my friends who studied in those computer classes and me were catching up. Suddenly that guy said 'machan....those days...when I used to feel a bit low...I used to wear whites". I was trying hard to recollect the connection when he finished, "....you know she likes whites...". It was sort of poetic hurt when I surmised that it was not me wearing whites that had her approval...it was white wearing guys....Goddd!

Came out of college; joined a company. And there she enters (heyy...this is a new entry!). I started taking a liking (when did I not?) and this time did not hold out for long. Six months later, told her. Negative. Again, Muniyandi Vilas (Tamil Nadu ethnic restaurant to have Biriyani!). Somehow, we became good friends for two years. And one day, strictly out of curiosity, had asked her the Q...'heyy....was there even a ...hmmm..chance that time?'. And know what her #$%%^&* reply was?..."you know...if you had stopped talking....I would have agreed in ...two days...but you were a gem". I almost fainted. My fair lady....I would have happily been a piece of coal then, seriously!

I thought that was the end. I was wrong.

Then came my love. The one which I can never write in the same humorous way as above. Took away my breath. And this time....she did like me (my #$$#$%$% God....at last!). Villian came in a different form. Love. Period. Hurt. Period. Muniyandi Vilas.

Today, looking back, seems like I lost something along the way. Maybe my innocence. But gained immensely from my encounters. What? Weight, you @##$$%%^ idiot...all the #$%$%$$% beer went inside me only na...

As I write, I overhear my early-twenties-roomie excitedly discussing about the Valentine day specials!

I...no no...

V for....Vendetta.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

machi ippo puriyuthu da...many a times i have seen you in white durig the college days may be...

palaya kathai ellam padika nalla than irruku!

Anonymous said...

machaan,

I tried my best to help you in the first case by sending card on your behalf and also talking to her.. Nothing worked out...what to do..

why didn;t u cover the valentine day after marriage? does it end with marriage?

Also you missed the buttermilk party who gives 1000 volts of electricity...:)

Raja said...

Sir..nanga ennamo oru chennai payyan romba arivaliya NIIT sernthu romba kastapattu munnukku vara try panran..Auto padicha oru futururm illa nu thrinchikiitu software lam padikkirannu partha nee ennadana "Appa" kastapptu sambaricha panatha "valentine" day la kali panrathuku NIIT la sernthurkkua......hmm...

ithula rendavathu velentine kathai vera arambichitta College la padikkumpothu........aana kadisila un destiny Tanjore irukkunu theriyama konjam attaa
potrukka..........